Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - Trees, Please!


Hi all! It's time again for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge. This month our theme is Trees, Please! I decided to create a card using Karen's Christmas Tree Pop-Up die, since I haven't had a chance to use it yet. While I was trying to decide exactly what to make, Karen suggested I try a gate fold card with two trees. I immediately thought of this card from a couple years ago and I was off and running!

The base of the card was created by scoring a 6" x 12" piece of kraft cardstock 3" from each edge. I also added a 4" flap at the top that's attached by a tab across the back. The closure was made from one of Tim Holtz's adorable log slices and a length of elastic cord.

Remove the elastic cord and the top panel pops up. Ooooh, a pretty winter cabin! But what's under those side panels?

You open them slowly...is that...are those...trees?!?

Why, yes...they are! And a little bunting that unfurls as the trees are lifted. How amazing is that tree die?!

A few details about the construction: the patterned paper is from a pad I found at Hobby Lobby. I'm obsessed with it and it's what pretty much inspired the whole card. The little cabin was created by cutting down Karen's House die and adding snow and a little wreath. The bunting is from the Tag Book set and the labels are from the Katherine Label Pop-Up set. The greeting was cut into the label using dies from the Holiday Word Set. Finally, the snow was cut with the wavy edge from the Nature Edges set.

Whew! I told myself I wasn't going to go overboard with this challenge, but I couldn't help myself. Even thought I used a lot of products, you could easily replicate this with just the tree die, substituting dies you already have for the other elements.

The supplies I used can be found at KB Riley and Simon Says Stamp via the links below.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Make sure you check out Karen's blog tomorrow for a gorgeous card tutorial - you're going to love it!

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Shelly, love the papers and dimension. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Shelly, this fold out card is totally awesome and so mbeautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! I knew I had to buy this die when I first saw it - then I saw your card and DONE - on its way to me. Thanks for fantastic inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. !!!!!!!!! Shelly! I'm speechless! The triple fold is genius, I love the "flocking" around the edges of the trees. This is truly a work of art. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, such a great card. You always manage to think out of the box in your card creations. Thanks for the inspiration on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative card!!! I'm fascinated, watching this video of this opening of the card. I've made over a dozen of these and I'm trying to understand how you got the trees to overlap when closed. Did you turn the Die piece that cuts the tabs for the tree base the opposite direction when cutting tabs for one tree? Hope that makes sense,

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing Shelly with wonderful details. TFS and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. awsome, thanks for inspiration, ohh andby the way I will follow you. do come take a look at my blog if you got the time to ;O))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!