Friday, October 27, 2017

Halloween Luminary Easel Card

Hi everyone! Today I'm sharing a card that I've wanted to do for years, but never got around to. It's a luminary easel card. The cutout is covered with vellum and, when you place a battery-operated votive behind it, you get a fantastic, eerie glow through the window!

I just got the new set of Distress Oxide colors and couldn't wait to create some backgrounds with them. This one uses Seedless Preserves, Wild Honey, and Spiced Marmalade.

A flameless votive candle fits perfectly in the opening created by the circle die cut.

My favorite part is the 'stop' I created to hold the card in place. I really wanted to do something clever, like Karen did with her zombie hands in this card. I was thinking how cool it would look if there were rows of tombstones and hit upon the idea of scoring one so that it would lay flat when the card was closed, but could be raised up to hold the card in the open position. And it worked brilliantly! I covered the edge with a piece of ribbon that was dyed with the same colors of Distress Oxides that I used on the card front.

Here is the card in the closed position. The stamps I used are all from Tim Holtz. The dies are all from Karen Burniston.

How cool is that double row of tombstones?! I love the idea of having the easel stop being part of the card design. And how gorgeous are those Distress Oxides? And that glowing moon?! I love it all. I'm going to be so sad when Halloween is over!

You can purchase the products I used at Simon Say Stamp and Amazon via the links below.


Thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea for double layer AND what cemetery doesn't have more than one row of markers? The card is fun, colorful, and I imagine just wonderful in low light. I have to say, the first picture shows what looks like a real spider crawling across the top. How did you get it to co-operate so well? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful with great details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I am always excited to see your Halloween cards every year. You out did yourself. Tombstones are one of my favorite objects and flipping the die for the double row looks great. Pop up cards are so cool with the dimension. Your cards are always so clean and look store bought. I like the sunset sky and adding the crow makes it have just the right touch without crowding. The colors also really compliment the vellum and glowing light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great design! TFS Shelly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!